Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chemical Hazards

This week in my environmental science class we had an in depth discussion on some hazardous chemicals we come into contact with everyday. We were asked to research two chemicals in products we have at home and to research them and the hazards they may cause to human health. The first chemical I researched was the chemical paraben. Paraben is often in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. The product that I found it in was deodorant. I had actually heard about its harmful effects a few years back and didn't think anything of it since I was young and foolish. Parabens are considered a possible threat to human health because they act like estrogen in the body. It high doses of estrogen you can have an increased risk for cancer. What I found interesting when I originally learned about parabens was that they are linked to breast cancer, but that they are only hazardous in high doses. I don't think that it is ironic that we put large amounts of deodorant with parabens on our underarms near our breasts, and that one of the biggest risks parabens cause are breast cancer. Smaller possible risks are allergic reactions but overall this chemical is not considered toxic. The second chemical I researched was sodium fluoride. Sodium fluoride is most commonly known for being in our toothpaste to prevent cavities, though is considered only mildly toxic. Fluoride accumulates in the body quicker than our body can filter it out. It is also linked to reproductive problems such as low testosterone and early puberty. Fluoride is also listed among the top 100 chemicals that are known for having evidence of developmental neurotoxicity, which simply is damage to the brain and may be associated with alzheimers and has made people question fluorides effect on the brain and intelligence. Fluoride was also found to reduce thyroid activity, fluorinated countries have a higher rating of hypothyroid than in non-fluorinated countries. Fluoride is also said to be damaging to bones and possibly lead to arthritis, and also is damaging to stomach and intestines. The second part of our assignment was to choose an item in our home with one of these chemicals and choose an alternative for them. I chose to look into other toothpaste options seeing as I don't like the idea of ingesting more chemicals than necessary. Toothpaste is very easy to make. All you need is baking soda, salt, water, and some flavoring such as peppermint, vanilla, almond, orange, spearmint oils. First mix your 4 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add 1 teaspoon of flavoring and a few drops of water and mix until thick paste forms. Add more dry ingredients if it is runny and store in a container. If you are not so crafty or don't have time like I don't, you can also look into getting yourself a childs toothpaste, which often leaves out fluoride or I found that toms is an option for fluoride free toothpaste. I tried it out and it works great and does not taste as strong. Also when looking into the toothpaste I found that they too have paraben free deodorant. With that remember to take time to make good choices about the products and chemicals you are willing to consume.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I too have heard fluoride is a toxic chemical but I never questioned why. I guess I was just under the assumption that since it's in our toothpaste it must be safe. I had no idea that it had the potential to cause neurotoxicity. I'm glad I saw your post!

    ReplyDelete