Monday, June 2, 2014
Most Important Environmental Issues
After all that we have learned this semester, our teacher wants us to now reflect on the most important and most interesting parts of what we learned. By far the two things that were most interesting and most important to me were the use of plastics and our food sources. Plastics are important to me because of the nature of what they are. Plastics are a single use item that does not biodegrade. I don't like the idea that something we use once will pollute the earth almost indefinitely. I also do not like that the plastics are polluting the oceans and harming animals. I think it is very selfish of humans to think that these matters don't concern us because its only harming the animals and ecosystems and not our own self. I think society needs to think about putting more regulations and bans on plastics. I think we need to change our thoughts about why we do what we do. Why do we use a plastic bag once and throw it way only so that it can go into the ocean and be eaten by turtles who are killed by the plastic bags and don't know any better? I know myself I am trying to be better about bringing my own cups for coffee and taking my own bags instead of plastic bags. Also refusing to use water bottles and taking my own water as well. I also am not a fan of our food industry now after learning a little more about it. I specifically was horrified by the treatment of the animals that become our meat. It has really prompted me to eat less meat and to really strive to eat better meat if I am going to eat it. To really research where it came from and how the animals were treated. Also I have been going to more farmers markets for my produce. I didn't like how the pesticides that are used on our produce are potentially harmful and harm those who live in the area surrounding. I think we all should make a better effort to know where our food is coming from and to use local foods.
Pertaining to the food I thought it was interesting the difference between mono-crop farms and farms that rotate crops. Mono-crop farms plant one crop in the area and do not switch out whats being grown. It depletes the soil of nutrients and does not distribute them back. Farms that rotate crops will plant one crop and the next time they plant a crop that will distribute nutrients that the first plant took out to help keep the soil rich and nutrient rich. I thought this was cool and interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I believe you did a great job on letting your classmates know about the two areas you care about the most. I agree with plastic being a product we use, and do not care about the environmental outbreaks. We need to find more ways to get an alternative for plastic in an environmental friendly way. I like that you mentioned the food sources because I enjoyed learning about this topic. Plus we humans need to know more of the food that we put into our mouth, and know about the health risk, environmental impact, and economically. Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that plastics are possibly the most important issue we've learned about in this course. Prior to this course I did not realize what an impact they have on the environment.
ReplyDelete