Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Energy Use

For 24 hours I had to unplug from energy usage as much as possible for my Environmental Science class. I picked to do this on memorial day. One thing I realized is a good way to save energy is to get out. Why do I need to be inside all the time with all my electronics on all at once when I could spend time outside? One thing we did use was the bbq, which was gas, so that used some energy, whether or not charcoal would be better that gas for the environment though I am not so sure yet. Another thing I realized was that in the middle of the day when it is perfectly bright, why do I turn all my lights on instead of just opening the blinds and windows and letting natural light in. This saves energy. My roommate and I are already pretty good at keeping things unplugged from the wall so that was easy to keep up with, we don't keep our microwave, toaster, coffee pot, or hair dryers plugged in when they are not being used. One thing I did forget though was to unplug the tv. I already currently try to use my windows to bring in cool air if possible. Unfortunately it was very hot on Monday and I did end up turning on the air conditioner for a short amount of time. One thing that would help is if my apartments had better windows and sliding doors that would keep the cool in, the windows and doors are pretty outdated in that department. I didn't really drive that day. I consciously decided not to even though I forgot to pick up some things. So I called someone and asked them to bring the stuff instead to save driving time. The changes were pretty reasonable. It did make me think about wasting energy. I really could live with those changes like opening the windows and doors more for air flow and light. One thing I didn't do and could not really see myself doing is hanging up my clothes to dry. I usually do my laundry late at night and it would not be convenient not to mention we have some problems with theft in our area. I will however try my best to not waste when i do my laundry and to make sure to do full loads. We do have energy efficient appliances. I could also manage to take shorter showers and cut back on taking baths.

No comments:

Post a Comment