Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Waste

This week in my Environmental science class we have to write a blog about the waste we produce in a two day period and how we can reduce that waste. In my household, me and my roommate only created about 1/8th of a 13 gallon bag and only 1/2 of a one gallon bag. We virtually use no waste at home really. We aren't huge consumers and most our waste is just wrappings on food. At work between me and my coworkers we created 2 13 gallon bags and 1/2 a 13 gallon bag but the last half is syrup bottles we recycle. A few ways we could reduce waste is to possibly buy a reusable bag for groceries, I however could not do that this week with lack of time and money. We could recycle but we don't really use much plastic bottles, I know I don't drink out of plastic bottles much and I don't drink canned soda or either so we don't have anything to recycle. Going to a farmers market may reduce some waste but I am not to sure it would because they may still put your produce in bags but I have not tried it yet. As for work I don't really have a choice in whether I can reduce waste or not. I work for Starbucks and that is teaming with things that you throw away. We were supposed to then measure two days changing our habits but seeing as I don't make much waste at home there really wasn't anything to change and at work I have to use our products and throw them away. One thing I already did that reduces my waste at work is measuring things in our metal pitchers instead of using paper cups like my coworkers, but I already did that before this assignment. We do also recycle cans and bottles at work as well which is hopefully a little helpful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear your household does not produce so much waste at home. Great job on the blog post!

    ReplyDelete