Friday, May 9, 2014

Food Inc.

I was given the option to watch some movies and read some books to earn Extra Credit for my Environmental Science Class. I watch "Food Inc." for my first movie. It was a horrifying movie. It really makes me angry at the way things are how things are made and how animals and humans are treated in the process. The first segment was primarily about chicken and beef and how it has been made into a factory assembly line instead of a real life event. It was terrifying to me seeing the conditions they were in and their gruesome deaths. One thing that really hurt me was that they modify the chickens to have larger breasts, but in doing so the chickens are so heavy they can't support their own weight. I also was really concerned by the way that our food is fed corn. It interested me when the local farmer made the point that we always ask how are we going to do this instead of why are we doing it. Cows and Chicken never ate corn before we came along so why are we doing it now? On top of that, to think that Ecoli is a direct result of corns reaction inside the animals stomach, which produces a unique atmosphere for this bacteria to grow rapidly in. And besides the cruel treatment of these animals, the corporations are using illegal immigrants to work these factories in VERY dangerous working conditions. If they are caught working there, the companies don't get in trouble but the workers that have been producing our foods for years are getting harsh punishment. I am not saying they shouldn't be in trouble but why are the companies exempt from being put in jail for their actions? There was a section about an organic food event and Wallmart but I wasn't completely understanding why organics were teaming up with these Monster Companies to produce organic foods and it makes me question whether those brands are really organic after the partnership. It then ended with some information on Monsanto and the roundup resistant seeds he created. I have seen videos on him before and it is distressing the way he treats the farmers. I guess the overall idea doesn't feel as overwhelming and terrible as the way the meat was treated and the health risks but the fact that Monsanto can patent something and then use extreme harassment and sneaky tactics against poor local farmers is very sad. This movie did not make me want to eat that processed and modified food anymore when I think about how it relates to my health. After watching this movie it makes me think about if I even cut out most of these things could I have my energy and health back possibly? This movie was very attention grabbing and people need to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment